Building & Development Permits

Any construction or change in land use requires a Development and/or Building Permit prior to the commencement of any work. Failure to obtain a permit will result in a fine.

A Development Permit ensures the land use, such as farm, business or residential, complies with the Municipality's Zoning By-Law.

A Building Permit ensures the structure complies with the Manitoba Building Code and the Building By-Law.


Apply for a permit online

The RM of Ste. Anne uses an online software called Cloudpermit so you can complete the entire building and development permit process online. With Cloudpermit, you can:

  • Apply for building permits at any time, from anywhere 
  • Check the status of your building permit or building inspection (when your application status changes, you’ll automatically receive an email letting you know) 
  • Schedule or cancel building inspections 
  • Communicate with your building department with time-stamped messages 
  • Pay for your building permit with a credit card 
  • Request and submit changes to an existing building permit  


How to get started 

To begin, you will need to create a Cloudpermit account by visiting Cloudpermit currently supports Firefox, Google, and Safari browsers.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What will I need?

The following attachments may be required:

    • Site Plan (Required for all applications)
    • Proof of ownership / Owners consent
    • Blueprints
  • What is a Site Plan?

A Site Plan is a drawing of your property showing where current buildings are and where the proposed building will be.  It should have measurements from the proposed structure to all property lines (in feet please).

  • How long will my permit take after submitting it?

Please note that processing times may vary dependent on the time of year, the nature of the application, and if there are any complications. Roughly 2-3 weeks.

  • Do I need a permit for a deck, shed, pool, hobby farm?

Yes most likely.

Contact us for details.


How-to videos and support materials

Cloudpermit has a variety of resources to help you – check out Cloudpermit Support for instructions on the basics and watch the instructional videos below to learn how to use the software:  


Let us know if you have any questions – we’re happy to help.  


Building & Development Information

Residential Buildings/Structures

Accessory Buildings (Garages, Sheds, Gazebos, Greenhouses, Etc.) 

Accessory buildings on properties where the main use has already been established, if less than or equal to 200 square feet in building area, may not need a Building Permit. All buildings greater than 200 square feet do require a Building Permit and inspections. In addition to the application form and site plan, you must provide building plans for the proposed development. Any accessory building greater than 753 square feet requires engineer stamped drawings. If the proposed building is attached to another structure, the combined square footage must be calculated. Please contact the office to confirm your proposed project does not need a building permit.

Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs

All private swimming pools and/or hot tubs capable of containing more the 24 inches (600 mm) of water require a Development and Building Permit and must be inspected by the Municipal Building Inspector. This includes ALL types of above and below ground pools including temporary or seasonal pools. 

All private pools must be completely enclosed with a fence or other suitable barrier installed in accordance with Part 10 of the Manitoba Building Code as follows:

  • The fence must have a minimum height of 1.5 meters (5 feet) including a gate which shall be self-closing and equipped with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry;
  • There shall be no openings other than the entry to a building or gate and it shall be constructed so as to prevent a child from crawling under either the fence or gate;
  • Where material other than the chain link is used, the outside surface of the enclosure shall be relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds;
  • Chain link fencing may be used but must be at least 11 gauge;
  • The enclosure surrounding an outdoor pool shall be maintained in good repair.

Pool covers of any type, material, manufacture, or strength do not count as a suitable barrier. Hot tubs may substitute a lockable cover in place of a fence. However, it must be strong enough to support the weight of an adult walking on top of it. 


A Building Permit is required for all decks or porches which are 24 inches or higher off the ground. All aspects of the building code must be complied and the Wood Deck Construction Checklist must be submitted with a deck building permit application. 

A Development Permit is required for all decks or porches, which are less than 24 inches off the ground but 200 square feet and greater. 


Agricultural Buildings

Any agricultural buildings less than 600 square meters (6458 square feet) in size receive a Development Permit through the RM of Ste. Anne. Agricultural buildings larger than 600 square meters (including additions) are inspected by the RM of Hanover through an inter-municipal cooperation agreement. In both cases the RM of Ste. Anne must approve a Development Permit for the construction of the proposed building. A Development Permit confirms that the proposed building complies with all the zoning requirements and allows the municipality to determine if zoning variances or conditional use orders are required prior to building. The RM of Hanover will process the building permit application and generally requires the following information: site plan, professionally approved building plans, letter of assurance, letter of authorization from the landowner and municipal authorization from the RM of Ste. Anne. For more information on building permits for agricultural buildings greater than 600 square meters, you can contact Hanover's Building Inspector at 204.346.7821 or by email at


Commercial, Industrial or Institutional Buildings

The following commercial, industrial, or institutional buildings are regulated under Part 3 of the Manitoba Building Code. All buildings classified as "A" Assembly Occupancies, "B" Detention, Treatment or Care Occupancies and "F1" High Hazard Industrial Occupancies fall under this section of the building code. Places of Assembly are any place for gathering including a community hall, church, arena or open-air facilities. Care & Detention facilities are personal care homes, healthcare facilities or detention centres. "F1" High Hazard Industrial are industrial facilities where activities pose a significant hazard to human health or the environment. Any building classified as "C" Residential Occupancies, "D" Business and personal Services Occupancies, "E" Mercantile Occupancies or "F2/3" Medium and Low Hazard Industrial Occupancies that is greater than 600 meters squared, larger than three stories or has more than 10 residential care clients residing in the building is also regulated under Part 3 of the Manitoba Building Code. 
Commercial or industrial buildings that are not regulated under Part 3 of the Manitoba Building Code require a Building Permit from the RM of Ste. Anne. 

There are more stringent design requirements associated with these types of construction that involve more input from architects and engineers. Accordingly, applications for Part 3 Buildings will require additional documentation like energy code calculations and architectural, electrical and/or mechanical drawings as well as letters of assurance from engineers and architects who have been working on the project. Each project is different and the exact requirements will be determined by the Building Inspector on a project basis. If you have any questions about what types of design drawings and other documentations may be required for your project, please contact Hanover's Building Inspector, Trenton Gagné at 204.346.7821 or by email


Other Information

Permit Deposits

All projects requiring building inspections, will be charged a refundable deposit up to $500. The deposit will be refunded, once all required inspections have been completed satisfactorily.

Fences & Hedges

No permits are required to build a fence or put up a hedge but they are required to comply with the Zoning By-Law and must adhere to the following rules:

  • Fences or hedges can be up to 6.56 feet high in any rear or side yard, and up to 2 1/2 feet high in any front yard of corner lots
  • Fences may be built up to the property line but the property owner must accurately locate the property line
  • Utility locates are recommended before constructing your fence

For yard setbacks consult the Zoning By-Law under Bulk Use Requirements or Yard Exceptions.

Culvert Permits

Some properties may need to install a culvert if the property has never been developed. In this case, a Culvert Permit is required prior to installing the culvert which will authorize the connection to a municipal road. Please contact Public Works at, including a site plan showing the approximate location of the culvert, to obtain the size of the culvert required.  Once you have obtained the culvert dimensions, attend the RM office to pay the associated $25.00 fee, before installing the culvert.  All private approach culverts must be a minimum 450 mm diameter and have a minimum length of 7.9 m. All culverts must be corrugated steel pipes. Please see page 2-6 of the Municipal Service Standards for more details on culvert installation.

Properties Adjacent to Provincial Roadways

If the property being developed is along a Provincial Road (PR) or a Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH), a permit from Manitoba Infrastructure (MI) may be required. Any structure that will be located within 125 feet of a property line bordering a provincial road or trunk highway must obtain the proper Manitoba Infrastructure Permit. Please contact MI’s Regional Office in Steinbach at 204.246.6266 to obtain their requirements.

Trans Canada Pipeline

Development proposals within the vicinity of a compressor station or within thirty-five (35) feet of a pipeline right-of-way shall not be allowed without the prior referral to Trans Canada Pipelines.


Riverbank lands along the Seine River, Seine River diversion and watercourses feeding into the Seine River and diversion shall generally be preserved in their natural state. In general, little or no development shall take place in the riverbank lands.

No permanent building or structure greater than one hundred (100) square feet shall be constructed or located within a horizontal distance of at least ten (10) times the height of the bank above the channel grade or two hundred (200) feet from the high-water mark, whichever is the greater, of the Seine River unless an engineering investigation indicates that the distance may be reduced.

Manitoba Hydro

All electrical work is independent from the Municipality and under the jurisdiction of MB Hydro.  For the electrical permit and inspections, please contact MB Hydro at their Steinbach branch at 204-326-9824.

Onsite Wastewater Management Systems

All onsite wastewater management systems (septic fields) are under the jurisdiction of Provincial Department Manitoba Environment, Climate and Parks.  Please contact their office at 204-392-4020 or at 204-346-6110 with any questions regarding onsite wastewater management systems.

Well Water

The Drinking Water Safety Act addresses the construction, operation and monitoring of drinking water systems in Manitoba. The Regional Drinking Water Office is located at Unit B - 284 Reimer Ave., Steinbach. Their phone number is 204-346-6110. The General Help Line (for well drilling, well sealing, well logs) is 204-945-0002. You will find further information under the following links.


Any Questions or Concerns?

For any other questions including building permit application fees please contact our Municipal Office at the RM of Ste. Anne. 

Phone: 204.422.5929 
Fax: 204.422.9723

Any Questions or Concerns regarding Residential, Agriculture, Commercial, Industrial or Institutional Buildings?

Hanover Building Inspector: Trenton Gagné
Phone: 204.346.7821

City of Steinbach Building Inspector: Eric McLean 
Phone: 204.392.0987